Added: December 27, 2013
Lilly Shappel Park is located on the east rim of the Aliso and Wood Canyons Wilderness Park in the City of Laguna Niguel.
The slope works best in West winds but works well in winds ranging from WNW to WSW and there is a lot of thermal elements in the lift.
WEATHER OBSERVATION LINKS:
SBLBT Laguna Beach Top (MesoWest) – 2 mi. W of slope on west canyon rim
Steep 240′ west-facing slope. The top landing area is mowed grass, but it’s narrow and surrounded by expensive homes. The preferred place to land larger and faster planes is on the face of the slope near the top rather than on the grass.
DRIVING DIRECTIONS (CLICK HERE for map):
Starting point: Junction of I-5 & Crown Valley Pkwy.
- Go SW on Crown Valley Pkwy 3.3 mi. to Niguel Rd. and TURN RIGHT
- Go NW on Niguel Rd. 0.3 mi. to Alicia Pkwy and TURN RIGHT
- Go N on Alicia Pkwy 0.9 mi to Highland Ave. and TURN LEFT
- Go up the hill on Highland Ave, 0.3 mi. to Drakes Bay and TURN RIGHT
- Tell the friendly guard that you’re going to Lilly Shappel Park
- Go N on Drakes Bay 0.2 miles past the guard shack to the park (on the left)
33.55919,-117.67315 – Junction of I-5 & Crown Valley Pkwy.
33.54183,-117.71503 – Junction of Alicia Pkwy & Highland Ave.
33.54145,-117.71915 – Junction of Highland Ave. & Drakes Bay (guard shack)
All coordinates on this page are WGS84/NAD83 map datum.